Examples of Spoken Word Songs pt.1: As letters
YOUR TASK :
- Listen to these examples of some of my favourite Spoken Word Songs.
- Write down a few of your favourite words and phrases. Write down, or circle on the lyric-sheets, anything that stands out to you or feels special.
Try thinking about these things:
- Listen for the ways that the artists tell a story in the songs.
- Do the stories which stick in our memories after we've listened? If yes, which bits are most memorable or ‘catchy?’
- Is the story easy to imagine? Is the main character easy to imagine?
Loyle Carner - Dear Jean
We can look at Dear Jean as a chilled-out rap song. Or we can look at it as an upbeat Spoken Word song. The song tells the story of the artist meeting a girl and preparing to move out of his Mum’s house - a pretty ordinary situation, from the outset, but loaded with emotions.
The song starts, ‘Dear Jean’, like a letter, an unusual beginning for a song. It immediately makes the listener pay attention. It also feels intimate and heartfelt.
At the close of the same album, Carner's Mum records a Spoken Word Song called 'Dear Ben'. It is also written like a letter.